Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Price You Pay

We think we've got something to complain about when it comes to gas prices...we Americans all better simmer down!

I noticed that the car was only 1/4 full so I decided to head to the gas station - an adventure in itself.  French people are clearly very concerned about getting gas on their hands because when I was waiting in line I saw no less than 5 people pull out rubber gloves, a paper towel, a magazine, and a newspaper.  Needless to say I just pulled right up and grabbed that gas nozzle like a true American; gas, germs and all.  So I checked with several people around me in my best Franglish to be sure I was pumping Diesel into the car.  All set except that there was no credit card swipe, attendant or Mobile Speedpass.  I had seen everyone just pulling away.  It is possible that petro is free here (school for Ellie is)?  Ya no, just the opposite.  I promptly drove away and pulled up to the pay window (like a McDonalds drive up) and paid my bill.  It came to a whopping 65,50 Euros which translates to a lovely 97.00.  Now you might think we are driving around a Hummer with like a 50 gallon tank.  Oh no, 97.00 to full up the tank of a Mercedes station wagon and it wasn't even on fumes!  Good times.  The french people must be loving Lance's Honda Accord and US gas prices.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

yeah, we still don't think prices are too bad here after our german stint. everyone in europe seems to get along fine in smaller cars - how many SUVs have you guys seen so far?

ald said...

Ya, not many. We actually have seen 4 or 5 Jeep Cheerokes which have surprised us.