Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stranger in a Strange Land

Two things I would not like to be in France:


1. A single, working Mom or Dad. As far as I can tell it would be nearly impossible to be a working Mom in this country. The kids' school day is set up in such a way that you are back and forth there to pick them up like 4 times. Drop off in the morning is at 9:00 (trip #1). You have to pick them up at 12:00 for lunch (trip #2). You come home and have a relaxing lunch with the family (VERY COOL) and then bring them back at 1:30 (trip #3). Finally, you pick them up for the day at 4:30 (trip#4). Not sure how this system works for anyone who is gainfully employed.

2. A handicapped person. On a seriously less humorous note this country is not handicapped accessible at all. There are stairs to everything. Not just a store or a cafe or a bakery. Major things like train stations, town halls, post offices, schools, etc. And even if you manage to get yourself successfully into a building, there are no elevators. I am embarrassed to admit that the reason I am so keenly aware of this is because places that are not handicapped accessible are not stroller accessible. It is one thing to keep with the "old charm" of Europe but I do have to give a "Wag of the Finger" on this issue.

5 comments:

LD said...

"Wag of the Finger." Do you just sit up there and watch Colbert on Slingbox all day?

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, I never appreciated the ADA 'till I wheeled my thousand-kilo suitcase through the German train station.

And I love the image of Cole's carseat on the back of the motorcycle!

Jill said...

"stranger in a strange land"...you've got me stumped???? Hint please!!!!

LD said...

Come on. Elizabeth knows this one, I'm sure...

Hint: You have to go all the way back to October.

Jill said...

Well, it only took me 4 days...U2...DUH, should have gotten that one right away. Thanks for the "October" hint, Lance