Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rescue Me

Anyone who has talked to me over the last week knows what a challenge it has been for us to try to change our airline tickets so we can come home early. The issue was that we came over on frequent flyer miles, which at the time was AWESOME, but now that we have “commenced our travel” and are in the middle of it they "CAN NOT change anything." Lance's Aunt said very nonchallantly to me, "you'll get it done, you don't take no for an answer." Ya, that is what I thought too. 

After spending five hours on the phone on Saturday only to stop the process for Ellie's hospital trip, I was starting to realize this was not likely to happen. And, even if they did make the change they were going to charge us $1000.00 to change the tickets. Seeing the writing on the wall, yesterday I started to look into one way tickets as it really was not looking like we were going to get anywhere.

In one last ditch attempt I had sent an email to US Airways Customer Relations on Sunday and pretty much begged. Two days later Mavis Bailow responded and she is now our hero. Not only did she get us home, she did it free of charge. Now, our itinerary is not pretty, but it gets us home Friday, March 6, 2009. We fly from Paris to Philly (right over Boston), then take a 45 minute flight to D.C., then back up to Boston. But WHATEVER, we’ll be home!

It's worth acknowledging US Airways' willingness to be a company with a heart, even in these tough times. That does not happen enough these days and when it does, it deserves credit.

We made sure to thank Mavis for her help and this was her response:

"I was happy to help you out. I would only hope if I was in your shoes someone would show my family the same kindness."

Do unto others...
Amen.

2 comments:

Anne Marie Hile said...

Ok, Mavis is a rare breed these days! That's a great story...although I'm sure it was frustrating!

Elizabeth said...

so... how long is your dc layover? you know you can count on us if it ends up being longer than expected. (not that we would wish that on you, but... just in case...)